Friday, June 17, 2011

Summer, Shakespeare, Stitchings and Stuff

Hello! 

I have finally graduated from Houghton College (as of Saturday, May 14th, 2011) and am in possession of a BA in English literature, minors in Writing and Communications (Theatre Arts emphasis). Phew! That's a mouthful. Now let's put that pretty tome back on the shelf and let it collect dust while I hunt around for a job. I am very grateful for those four years at school, but ready to be moving on. Goodbye college, thanks for all the great times. Hello world...HOLY CRAP, NOW WHAT DO I DO?!? *panicpanicpanic* Ahem. Sorry about that. Moving on...

So, that being said, I am home for the summer. And for an undetermined amount of time after that. I've been enjoying getting back into reading, setting up my reading plans for this summer (which will probably overflow into September). So far the plan is to finally get around to reading the whole Harry Potter series (which I started aeons ago but never finished). Along with various and sundry other books. I just finished reading 'Fatherland' by Robert Harris, which was quite good - like a film noir in novel form. I can give more detailed comments if anyone asks.

Theatre stuff: I'm back with the Poultney Summer Theatre Company this summer, in their production of 'Romeo & Juliet 1958'. The play is being set in the 1950's, in a small New England college town, entangled in the conflict between the established old-money families (the Capulets) and the rising working class (the Montagues). This is NOT West Side Story. I've been cast as Lady Capulet (Juliet's mother), and am extremely excited - though more than a little nervous - about the role. Our first meeting is in two days, and after that it will be rehearsals and practicing and theatrical intensity until the beginning of August. 
(Shameless plug for the PSTC right here)

I have quite a queue going of sewing projects for this summer. First on the list is my bridesmaid's dress for the wedding of a college friend in less than a month. I'm so excited, it's going to be a beautiful wedding - all cherry blossoms and medieval/celtic touches.

After that I have a couple of commissions, the wedding presents that I would like to make for several people (yeah...there's a lot of people getting married these days), and *hopefully* a ren faire costume for any faires I might go to this summer. But we'll see about that.


I think that pretty much covers it all. So I think I'll get off the computer now, and get back to unpacking my school stuff. Which is still about 40% in boxes.

Alles Gute

No comments:

Post a Comment